Monday, December 3, 2012

Romanticism


Are you more a product of the Enlightenment or Romanticism? Explain. Use specific examples from your life to illustrate.

I have to admit that I didn’t think I was a romantic at all. I tend to always look at things at the as a more disciplined and structural point of view. But, as we went through the class discussions between the two I have learned (like I always have in this class) that I am more of a Romantic than I thought I was. I guess you could say it came from past experiences that I tend to shut off my emotion side and not even dare to touch it with a ten foot pole. Lately I have been slowly accepting certain experiences and feelings to go through my life, which I would not have dealt with years ago. And I think this class was one of those things in life where you dreaded it, but it ultimately became your favorite. Not because you’re learning about art or humanities, but because you’re learning more about yourself and how the lesson plan brings it out. Anyways, that’s not really what this blog post is really about. When we took the How Romantic Are You?  quiz I what I thought I would end up with was completely different from what I actually did. And it was a good thing! I think one thing that stuck out to me the most was the love of nature. I could really connect with the painting Wanderer Above the Mist because it reminds me of when I’m out camping in the wilderness and I get up early just to watch the sun rise and I can see the foothills and valleys below where I am and there is like a dewy mist that slowly rises and disappears as the morning goes on and it’s just beautiful. It’s like the fact that man did not make it, but God (or whatever deity you believe in) made it for us, humans, to enjoy. We take so much for granted and we are so busy with lives to live that we don’t stop and take the time to smell the roses or appreciate the nature around us. It’s when I am out in nature surrounded by things man did not make that I feel closer to God, not it a church listening and following. It’s a place where I feel a connection with Him more strongly than I would anywhere else. And while being a Romantic, it just takes me a moment to listen to what my heart wants and just go for it that has put me where I am and probably where I needed to be. Another thing I have learned about myself during these discussions is that I’m not weird for having such strong feelings, emotions, or feelings. It pretty much comes natural when you’re a Romantic. It’s crazy how certain things will happen and it will either give me great joy or hurt my heart to witness/be a part of. And when some decisions are made I tend to go with my gut and what I feel is would be right to do. I could go on and on about how I am a Romantic with connections to my life, but I’ll call it good for now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment